Sunday, February 6, 2011

It Is Problem

I can't tell you how many times a day I hear this.  It must be one of the first phrases, after "Good morning" and "My name is," that Georgians learn when studying English. 

The school has no water or electricity: It is problem.

Students have no coursebooks, notebooks, or even pens and pencils to write with in class: It is problem.

80% unemployment rate in Georgia: It is problem.

Every time I hear this, I can only sigh and agree, and maybe shrug my shoulders, because like the rest of the people here, I don't know what to do about all of these problems.  I'm about three weeks into my stay here, and I'm only just now wrapping my brain around the fact that Georgia is essentially a third-world country.  My pre-departure preparations consisted of buying a few flashcards at Target and reading a WikiTravel article on Tbilisi; maybe if I had done a bit more research, I would have been prepared to encounter the Turkish toilets, pitiful spit baths, dismal heating, stray dogs and beggars, and so many frustrations, small and large, that I had successfully avoided for 22 years in America.  But after a particularly pathetic and very public meltdown on the busiest street in Tbilisi, I have dusted myself off and I'm ready to move ahead.  As America's #1 boss, Michael Scott, advises: "React, adapt, re-adapt, act." 

But enough on that.  As you may have noticed, I had to scrap my previous blog after it was compromised by some pesky Georgian students of mine (my own fault, really, for making it so public).  While I suppose I admire their English skills and am flattered by their interest, my students, colleagues, and host family members are not my intended audience; I don't want to have to censor myself or worry about hurting anyone's feelings.  You, dear friends and family, deserve the truth, and the truth you shall get!  We'll see how long this one can fly under the radar.

-Nadya

1 comment:

  1. Meltdown already? :/. Georgia is definitely not an easy place to live especially outside of Tbilisi, but I'm certain you will be able to pull through. Remember to keep studying your Georgian, bring loose change with you whenever going out (vendors will cheat you by either saying they have no change and some might even say they have already given you change and make you look like a swindler to all the georgians around you), and always keep an open mind. I know TLG has done a poor job with maintaining the image of your purpose in georgia, but I will remind you, it's to help the children of Georgia and to make a difference in their lives. It'll be hard but the experience will truly be worth it. Good luck in Georgia Nadya. :). Dust yourself off and try again!

    ReplyDelete