Saturday, April 23, 2011

When You Have Leisure Time

Hallo aus Deutschland, dear friends and family.  I am on a much-needed sojourn into civilization here in Munich, and I have been running about like a mad woman for two days, soaking up the familiarity of the city, as well as a Radler here, a cappuccino there, and about $60 worth of English magazines (here is where I should probably feel very ashamed of myself, but I'm just too damn happy).

Alas, I have been struck down by a cold, so since I am just loafing around the flat anyway, I thought I'd use my 'leisure time' to put up a few pictures here.  Maybe they'll clear up those rumors that I'm living in a straw hut with goats and teaching English to cows.
 
First day out of the hotel: My school director takes me to my original host home.  Little did I know then how much I would come to hate that ridiculous Cruella de Vil coat. 

My first home-cooked meal in Georgia--pickles, vermicelli, bread, and chacha (without which, no meal is complete).

Mini-supra at school.  Anything to avoid work.


At a rugby match with my friend Tamo.

Tavisuplebis Moedani (Freedom Square).  See how much Georgian I know?

A stunning view of Kutaisi from the Bagrati Cathedral. 

One of Kutaisi's founding fathers: David Bowie.  A little-known fact.

Not one to balk at tradition, I gamely drank wine from a sheep's horn at a teacher's birthday supra (and clearly enjoyed it). 

One of my buddies at the dog shelter I started volunteering at.  The poor guy has some sort of skin condition and is more dandruff than dog, so of course he is my favorite.  I've always had a soft spot for the disgusting ones.  I am so glad to have found the shelter; it's really the one place where I feel like I'm really doing anything meaningful or fulfilling.

Took a wonderful day trip to Davit Careji, a cave town near the Azerbaijan border. 

The view from the other side of the mountain at Davit Careji.  Definitely wish Dunia could have seen it.

There are plenty more pictures where those came from (mostly of animals, of course), but for now it's time for me to make myself look presentable, or at least human, and hit the Marienplatz.  So, in the words of Heidi Klum, I bid you all aufwiedersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment